kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Main Category > Kodachrome, The Film

Old 07-15-2009, 01:13 AM

james23p is on a distinguished road

I have stayed away from this post since it does hurt to lose Kodakchrome and I wanted to think and keep a cool head. Now I am not anti fuji as a matter a fact I appreciate Fuji has maintained a drop off service at walmart and Rite Aid for BW and slide film so I can afford to shoot these films. I even wrote a thank you letter to fuji for this service. Another thing is I really like Astia and Provia so I will shoot these films but Kodak is still and always be my main film company.

I love Kodaks products not just Kodachrome but I also like the E series Ektachrome and the new Ektar is the best C41 print film I have ever used and it is the first print film I now stock in my house and that is saying something for a slide shooter like me. I aplaud Kodak for bringing out a brand new film in this time of economic downturn they could have just hunkered down and done nothing. They improved T-Max BW film and a last year maybe the year before they improved the Portra line which is very good for weddings and such. No I will not leave Kodak do I wish they had a true slide film replacement for Kodachrome yes, even E-6 process would be OK if it looked like Kodachrome I would move right on. I know K-14 and older K versions have been the best for archival process but modern E-6 is better than in the past so I think I would embrace a Kodachrome-E.

Now this is for Dan I want to thank you for your efforts and measuered approach to all this. I hope that your gut feeling from your meetings with Kodak means there is a Kodachrome slide film replacement on the way vs the E100G and Ektar options Kodak has listed. Now both films are very good and I suspect I will shot the Ektachrome E100G. But I hope Kodak has one last great film up their sleeves and it is a Kodachrome. If it looks like Kodachrome they can call it Kodachrome-E and process E-6 that is fine by me because it is the look of Kodachrome that draws me in not the K-14(I am to young to have used the X/II versions at least I think I never used it since they were DC'd sometime in 1974 unless I got some in the late 70's because I really started to like photography around 1976), again I know the archival process of Kodachrome but I really do think Kodak could make a new Kodachrome that would meet our needs even in E-6 form.

So Dan keep in contact with Kodak and keep letting them know that an E-6 market that looks like Kodachrome would sell I am sure of it. May even sell better than the current K-14 due to the availability of processing.

One last thing, a member was saying that K-14 process could suddenly go away with one blow I agree with only one machine running in the world(I know some say Kodak has one left in Rochester I have know way of knowing this) if it had a major malfunction and died would Dwayne's have the resorces to repair it. So I understand where he was comming from but I have 40 plus rolls and may even try to get a few more and I will shoot Kodachrome until the middle of Dec 2010 and get all I can in to Dwaynes before the deadline. I plan on really making a final push I will keep one unopened box of KR64 for keepsake and the rest will be in my slide books for my children, Grandchildren and their children to enjoy!!!

Thanks All for reading this mess I am at work and I am sure that my typing/spelling is terrible at 2 am.

Jim

Last edited by james23p; 07-15-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:00 AM

AndrewKirkby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by james23p View Post

Now this is for Dan I want to thank you for your efforts and measuered approach to all this.

One last thing, a member was saying that K-14 process could suddenly go away with one blow I agree with only one machine running in the world(I know some say Kodak has one left in Rochester I have know way of knowing this) if it had a major malfunction and died would Dwayne's have the resorces to repair it. So I understand where he was comming from but I have 40 plus rolls and may even try to get a few more and I will shoot Kodachrome until the middle of Dec 2010 and get all I can in to Dwaynes before the deadline. I plan on really making a final push I will keep one unopened box of KR64 for keepsake and the rest will be in my slide books for my children, Grandchildren and their children to enjoy!!!

Jim
Hi Jim. I second you on Daniel's good work. Thanks Daniel

Anyway, as for K-14 processors: Kodak has a modified K-lab machine in Rochester. Dwayne's have a custom built cine-type processor (maybe more than one). The process is the same but on a much larger scale. For example, the Dwayne's unit would be used with 100-200 films spliced together. I believe there is a 30 roll limit on the K-Lab although i have not reached that part of the manual yet (it's a few hundred pages)

My bulk lot of Kodachrome 25 arrived today, so i'm well stocked for all planned trips over the next ~18 months
Old 07-15-2009, 03:08 AM

james23p is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewKirkby View Post
Hi Jim. I second you on Daniel's good work. Thanks Daniel

Anyway, as for K-14 processors: Kodak has a modified K-lab machine in Rochester. Dwayne's have a custom built cine-type processor (maybe more than one). The process is the same but on a much larger scale. For example, the Dwayne's unit would be used with 100-200 films spliced together. I believe there is a 30 roll limit on the K-Lab although i have not reached that part of the manual yet (it's a few hundred pages)

My bulk lot of Kodachrome 25 arrived today, so i'm well stocked for all planned trips over the next ~18 months
Ah thanks Andrew I figured Kodak had to have one to test their batch rolls. But modified K-Lab I wonder if it set to run on something other than the bag in a box that Kodak said was DC'd? I have seen a few for sale online and in other places if they could be modified to run on the chemistry that is not in a box, ah never mind my mind is running away.

This also makes sense since 120 was DC'd there was no need for anything bigger than a K-lab at Kodak. I wonder what Fairlawn NJ used was it a big machine. I was there once a long time ago but never paid attention.

I did see the video of Dwayne's it is a huge machine but I guess you needed that to run Kodachrome movie film thus the Cine designation. Plus I saw the video of the last days for the one in Europe what a beast that machine was. I wonder where all these machines have gone or are going. Just another pile of scrape I assume in the name of progress.

Thanks again, manual huh I wonder how many of us have been thinking could we get a K-Lab and some how run it? I had a dream I won the lottery and bought one then found a stash of Bag-in-a-Box chemicals to last a lifetime and ran it a few times a year for all my Kodachrom friends. I know I have been up 20 hours and working the late shift has my mind like goo.

Jim

Last edited by james23p; 07-15-2009 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:51 AM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by james23p View Post

Jim
It may have been me that expressed the concern about the "fragile" processing service for K-14, with just one machine in the world, and, in the case of we Brits, a four-stage journey for our films from here to Kansas, via Switzerland. Actually, I'm sure that Kodak has some back-up to cover all but the worst of disasters.

On reflection, I'm not going to let these risks stop me enjoying a last-year-of-Kodachrome....I have sufficient films in the freezer for my needs, and I'm not likely to taking any totally irreplacable pictures (can't afford to get to anything like this month's Solar Eclipse in China ). We have one "special" holiday planned where I want to shoot K64, and my wife (who's probably a better photographer than me ) says she's use Astia and some B&W, so no worries if a film gets lost or spoiled.