kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Main Category > Kodachrome, The Film

Old 06-22-2009, 06:05 AM

Otto is on a distinguished road
Default I'm Still Scanning . . .

The title is supposed to be sung to the tune by Elton John, "I'm Still Standing."

Anyway, I am very very sad. It is the passing of an old and dear friend who taught me so much about how to see the world.

Sad, and grateful.

But my scanning business in Sydney is seeing more and more Kodachromes nowadays, recently a batch of gorgeous"diapositives" from the 1940s in France that we scanned with ICE on our Kodak HR500 Plus.

So, how can I join the wake without any film in Australia?

If there is to be a global toasting to the passing of K64, let me know when to raise the glass.

Otto at Oscans
Old 06-22-2009, 06:06 AM
Administrator

Dan_KR64 has disabled reputation

Despite Kodachrome's phenomenal visual attributes, it is really hard to make the film and the cost of producing the chemistry is high as well. This is one of those things that is hard to understand unless you have been to Rochester, seen the operation and talked to the engineers and management at Kodak.

Trust me: This was a really tough decision on Kodak's part.

Kodachrome images on Flicker

Photo.net galleries
Old 06-22-2009, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Otto, you should contact Fergus in regards to how he has obtained the film recently as he is in OZ too.

Photo.net galleries
Old 06-22-2009, 06:26 AM

analogue ∞ is on a distinguished road

I understand, but maybe they could have raised the price first of all, instead of just discontinuing it outright. People would still have been willing to pay for it so long at the option to shoot it was still there. Non-process-paid Ektachrome EPP is nearly twice the price of process-paid Kodachrome from what I've seen, and people still buy it, and I'm sure it's not one of Kodaks most post popular films either - small scale, high price... it might have worked..

But anyway.. I guess now is the time to start stocking up. And at least I got the chance to shoot the film my parents, grandparents and great-grandparents all shot throughout the past 74 years; albiet only for a short couple of months
Old 06-22-2009, 06:32 AM
Administrator

My slideshow on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yp6HARg7Fs

Photo.net galleries
Old 06-22-2009, 06:34 AM

fergus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_KR64 View Post
Otto, you should contact Fergus in regards to how he has obtained the film recently as he is in OZ too.
B&H (new York) + the good people at UPS.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:34 AM

KevinDks is on a distinguished road

Well, that's a shock. I exchanged emails with Mary-Jane Hellyar a couple of weeks ago and got the party line about Kodachrome being around as long as sales justified it; just didn't expect this news so soon, but 18 months is enough for a good long wake.

Just ordered 20 rolls. 15 in hand already, that should be enough to finish my project and do some other stuff.

Kevin
Old 06-22-2009, 06:42 AM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

Ah well, when I've stocked up and used with my final Kodachrome, that's the end of my 50-years-worth of business with Kodak.
No hard feelings, but with Fuji for color, Ilford and the little companies for B&W, and endless sources for digital supplies, I don't need them now.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:43 AM

marcus is on a distinguished road

I couldn't fall asleep, been up all night. Now this explains why.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:59 AM

rev66vette is on a distinguished road
Default Kodak retires Kodachrome film

I thank the administrator for the PM he also sent...and I guess we all knew that in the general scheme of things, this was an eventuality that we would all have to deal with.

But I still can't get over the feeling that somehow, once again I have been screwed by technology...........I'm going to be 63 years old this year........and I guess that alone qualifies me for the "set-in-my-ways" attitude that I once held so much contempt for to people who have preceded me here on earth.

I'm still adamant in the fact that I will not go digital...not for any reason other than the timing of all this. I don't want to invest the time and effort at this stage in life to enter a new world of technology. Maybe twenty years ago or so, I'd be all sure-fired to buy new cameras, lenses, hard drives, lap-tops, scanners, printers, strobes, CD's, etc...but at this stage of the game, I just don't. I've often wondered what it would be like when we film shooters reach the "final end". Guess we're not far form it. I've got a good supply of Kodachrome on hand. The press releases say that Dwaynes will process Kodachrome until the "end of 2010"...I hope it goes beyond that for those of us who can continually "stretch in out"......

Ultimately, I guess I'll drop over to the Fuji end, where a few of my compatriots tell me the world isn't so bad.

But I'm hurt.......especially when I recall all the things that I've witnessed that evoke similar memories........leaded gas, real seltzer, Ronson lighters, phonographs and pressed records, hard-wired phones, CB/short-wave radio, IBM selectric typewriters, carbon paper, Accutron watches, on and on......

I share your pain.............

Regards and sympathies to all;

Rich Onorevole
Clifton, NJ